10.06.2008

you're the reason I've run out

I don't have anything particularly exciting to share tonight, except for some things that I feel the need to share with someone else.

Tonight is one of the nights that I'm having a "I live alone...boo..." nights. Because in this fallish weather, I wish for good conversations, stew and hot apple cider. So in an attempt to remedy that, I decided that I was going to go and get some cider. And an ink cartridge because I ran out.

You know how you go to Target for one thing and end up buying like eight? That was me tonight with the cider and the ink cartridge, candy for the dish at work, shampoo because I'm almost out and then nail polish remover because the Oriental Red on my toes is starting to look a little more...faded. But the thing that is interesting about this is really the thought process. These were all things that I probably intended to buy at one time or another. Not really things I need, but things that were on my list to get. And how, when I went for a 74 HP Black Printer Cartridge and apple cider, did I arrive at shampoo, candy and nail polish remover? Do they plan the stores so that you have to go by things that might align? Because apple cider and nail polish remover don't really scream similar to me.

I drove up to New Brighton today to get cat food at the vet and since I went right after work, I took my old route, before the bridge collapsed. It was definitely an odd sensation, seeing as how not only was there virtually no traffic, but the world just seemed different. Probably because I no longer live in that part of the metro, don't drive that way as much and because life in general has come full circle. And, I am AMAZED at how much cheaper gas was up there - $2.99! If I hadn't just filled up, I would have been all over it. Does living in the city really make that much of a difference? Apparently so.

Ever since I finally plugged in my old Aiwa stereo in the dining room, I've been on a classical music kick. And tonight, one of my favorite things happened. They played a piece on the radio that not only did I know without looking up or waiting to hear what it was, but that I'd played in orchestra. It's fun to be able to name the composer and the piece - and yes, I know I'm a huge dork for saying that. But it makes me smile. And because I love piano music.

A tidbit from the Star Tribune today - the MN Wild have a mascot. Meet Nordy.

Lastly, on Lexington, there is a sign that says:
Piano
"FOR SALE"
with the phone number

Why, can you tell me, does the "for sale" need to be in quotation marks? Any thoughts, Rach?

I should take a photo of it to post here for you all to see.

Wishing you all good conversations, hot cider moments and warm quilts.

Quote o' the day:
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
- Sir Francis Bacon, "Of Beauty"
English author, courtier, & philosopher (1561 - 1626)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You should definitely post a picture of that sign, Jules. Maybe it's not really for sale, so the quotation marks are used in a mocking tone. Maybe someone said "for sale," just as the author was writing that portion of the sign. Maybe they're just dunderheads, and you should fix the sign. Better yet, post the photo on the "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/

Rachel said...

p.s. I tagged you over at my blog the other day. You can thank me later.